Amazing Grilled Chicken Bánh mì Sliders. Grilled Chicken, Pickled Carrots, Fresh Cucumbers and Cilantro, with Sriracha spicy Mayo; all inside a toasted sweet roll.
Grilled Chicken Bánh mì Sliders
©Flirting with Flavor by FlirtingWithFlavor.com
Pin it to your “Best FOOD Ever” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Flirting with Flavor on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This is the best lunch or light dinner option out there y’all! When I am in a hurry or wanting a filling but not heavy meal, this or my Bowtie Chicken Caesar Salad is what I make. Every time!
Have you ever had a Banh Mi sandwich?
Oh my gosh! It is better than eating a rainbow! So Yummy!
Have you ever seen the movie Ratatouille? I LOVED that movie! I loved when Remi combined certain flavors to create the “Fireworks in my mouth!” effect. Remember that as you read this recipe, because this is definitely a “Fireworks in my mouth!” recipe…
If you want to try something that sounds disgusting but will blow your mind with it’s deliciousness, this is the thing for you
It’s summertime here and that means 100+ F degree weather every single day. I LOVE heat. Seriously, sunshine is my element. I talk more about that in my “About Me” page. For now, let it suffice it to say that summer is my favorite season.
That being said, when it’s super killer hot outside, you don’t always feel like eating hot and heavy food. Enter salads and sandwiches…
Bánh mì is actually the Vietmanese word for bread. A baguette loaf of bread to be exact.
However here in America we have made Bánh mì to mean a Vientmanese sandwich. Then to Americanize it a little more, I’ve turned it into a slider that isn’t even served on a baguette! Ha! But seriously, you can’t beat sliders!
Let me just tell you; these delicious Bánh mì sliders are so incredibly perfect for lunch or to bring to parties! I love them, and you will too!
I firmly believe that cucumber should be on all sandwiches.
Hear me out: cucumber is light and refreshing, yet crunchy crisp! I ask you: What couldn’t be improved upon with that delightful combination?
Then if you get yourself a good cucumber then it’s gonna have a slightly sweet aftertaste as well. So you know… perfection!
How to pick a perfect cucumber:
- First and foremost: check the firmness of the cucumber! It should feel firm from one end to another. If it’s beginning to feel pliable, then you are going to get bitter bites in that cucumber.
- Size: Try to pick a cucumber that is medium small in size. The smaller cucumbers are more crisp and have smaller seeds.
- Finally, color: Look for a fresh cucumber. You don’t want one that is looking dull as that equals age, and they grow more bitter the older they get.
So for these sliders I used Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, and they were a fantastic fit for the flavor combinations. You can use those too and I don’t think you need a particular brand.
However, in the past I have always used regular rolls or mini baguettes cut down to size for these and that worked our beautifully as well.
So you do have options!
Enough talk! Let’s eat!
- Bread or Rolls
- Butter or Oil
- Grilled Chicken
- Freshly washed and coarsely chopped cilantro
- Pickled Carrots (and optional Daikon)
- Spicy Mayo
- *Pickled Carrots and Daikon. The pickled carrots and daikon are made by thinly slicing about 4-5 fresh (peeled) carrots and 1/2 – 1 small daikon (you only do a little bit of daikon because its flavor can be a bit over-powering).
- Then cover them in salt 4 hours-overnight to draw out all the liquids.
- Drain the liquids and sprinkle with a heavy tablespoon of red pepper flakes.
- Pour a mixture of 3/4 cup sugar/ 1 cup vinegar over the top and stir it around.
- Let sit in fridge for a couple more hours.
- Drain and your veggies are pickled.
- They will stay good in your fridge for at least 3 months! So you can eat banh mi lots of times!
- Spicy Mayo. Can I just tell you how much I LOVE spicy mayo!!!
- Spicy mayo is just a mixture of about 1/4 c mayo and 1 teaspoon sriracha (add more sriracha if you want a little extra kick).
- Open roll and lightly oil or butter both of it's opened insides.
- Place in oven on broil for 1-2 minutes until toasted.
- Then, Spicy-Mayo-ize both insides.
- Lay down meat on one side
- and then layer the cucumber heavily on the other.
- Add pickled veggies to chicken side and top with cilantro.
- Combine sides and eat.